Create New Realities
Immersive technologies advance the ways we create, communicate, learn, and play. Experience awe-inspiring breakthroughs in VR, AR, and MR at SIGGRAPH.
“This year, the Immersive Pavilion at SIGGRAPH 2022 is covering several aspects of VR, AR, and mixed reality. The pavilion shows exciting and novel use cases for working in the metaverse, immersive gameplay, live VR performances, and exploratory use cases of augmented hardware. I am so excited to see the return of hands-on engagement to this year’s conference!”
SIGGRAPH 2022 Immersive Pavilion Chair
SIGGRAPH 2022 Immersive Pavilion Top Selection: Journal of My Journey
Journal of My Journey: Seamless Interaction in Virtuality and Reality With Digital Fabrication and Sensory Feedback
Journal of My Journey is a work that explores the possibilities of integrating seamless interactions in virtuality and reality. We let the choices that the users make in the virtual world be output to the real world, thus enhancing the the connection between the reality and the virtual world.
Miguel Then Ying Jie, Lui Ching, Yvone Tsai Chen, Lim Zin Yin, Ping Hsuan Han
National Taipei University of Technology
Submit To Immersive Pavilion
The SIGGRAPH 2022 Immersive Pavilion gathers outstanding content in virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, and beyond! This year’s in-person event is a place for contributors and participants to engage in critical discourse on the latest interactive breakthroughs. The Immersive Pavilion seeks submissions with these criteria in mind. First, experiential content is non-narrative based. This includes interactive techniques that solve pragmatic needs for productivity, development, and design challenges are encouraged. But it also includes social experiences, games, and artistic expression. Second, the Immersive Pavilion is platform-agnostic and can include augmented, virtual, and mixed reality; interactive projection mapping; or multi-sensory installations, among others.
Finally, this year, we seek work that addresses this moment in time, “the dawn of the metaverse.” We are very interested in seeing immersive technologies and experiences that bring a fresh perspective on this proposed new way of living. How will these technologies bring distant people together to create new memories in surreal or hyper-realistic places? We hope to see a wide range of projects that address the proposed future of living, working, playing, and interacting in these digital immersive spaces.
SIGGRAPH recognizes that diverse contributions stem from academic, professional, and independent fronts, awarding Best in Show and publishing abstracts in the ACM Digital Library.
Note: Submissions for the Immersive Pavilion are currently closed.
How to Submit
SIGGRAPH 2022 will gather in person in Vancouver and virtually. We look forward to celebrating 49 years of advancements in computer graphics and interactive techniques. We are excited you are submitting your work for consideration.
Before you prepare a proposal, please carefully review these topics of interest for SIGGRAPH 2022’s Immersive Pavilion.
Virtual, augmented, and mixed reality in areas of gaming, art, productivity, communication, science, healthcare, and research.
Artistic and technology installations and demonstrations, especially those that emphasize connection, co-presence, and multi-sensory techniques.
Practical applications using immersive techniques including, but not limited to, education, visualization, or training.
The Immersive Pavilion is seeking content-driven and interactive projects that:
- Demonstrate a unique type of interactive and/or immersive experience.
- Utilize the latest technology in immersive environments. For example, wireless, untethered, head-mounted displays for AR or VR; projection mapping interfaces combined with gestural and real-time eye tracking within an augmented or virtual environment; etc.
- Influence our day-to-day lives as practical applications or creative tools, or improve our relationships with each other and the world around us.
- Can be experienced concurrently by multiple persons, either co-located or remotely.
Log into the submission portal, select the “Make a New Submission” tab, select ”General Submissions,” and then select “Immersive Pavilion” under “Presentation Formats.” To see the information you need to submit, view the sample submission form.
Please note that all Emerging Technologies, Immersive Pavilion, and Labs presentations will be juried together, and the jury makes a final determination in which program the submission fits best.
With your submission, please be aware of these fields:
- Contributor information. Full names of primary content creators/presenters. (Please note: Each contributor must be identified with their full name, affiliation, and a unique email address. Duplicate email addresses within a submission are not allowed.)
- Title and description of your project, running length, genre.
- Final representative image (.jpg, .jpeg, .png), with up to five additional images.
- A two-page abstract. See Author Instructions for more information. Please prepare your abstract using these templates and instructions.
- Video to be evaluated, optional application executable files, and optional trailer.
- Website and URL for conference publicity and media/participant inquiries.
Finally, if you are hosting application file(s), please supply the link, login credentials, product key, or coupon information. Please be sure these credentials can be used by more than one person. If you need to supply a unique code per person, providing 15 credential codes is recommended to ensure the entire jury and SIGGRAPH committee can review your work.
For additional submission information, see the Submission FAQ.
Submissions will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Innovative: Does the experience utilize new technologies, processes, and research from the past 12 months? Does it push the boundaries of creativity?
- Immersion: Is the submission able to engage and immerse a participant or multiple participants in an experience? Does the installation, demonstration, or performance inspire awe?
- Interactivity: Does the installation, demonstration, or performance require audience participation? How intuitive is the interactivity?
- Utility: Does the project demonstrate a use of immersive technology in a way that enhances or benefits an existing workflow or process?
- Collaborative: Will multiple people be able to participate at the same time? Does each participant have an active role?
A jury will select the top-rated submissions for presentation at SIGGRAPH 2022. All submitters will be notified of their submission status: accepted, conditionally accepted, or rejected.
SIGGRAPH reviewers cannot sign non-disclosure agreements for submissions. For information on patents and confidentiality, see the Submission FAQ.
You will be notified of acceptance or rejection around early May.
Upon acceptance, the submission portal will allow you to update basic information about your work and upload any final materials for inclusion on the website. You will receive information about how to submit final versions of your accepted work and the deadlines for final updates.
If your submission is accepted, you can prepare and submit a revised abstract for inclusion in the ACM Digital Library (two pages maximum). This abstract must be submitted by 27 May 2022. Please prepare your abstract using these templates and instructions.
You will be notified of the acceptance or rejection of your submission in early May 2022 and receive an email from “email@example.com” with a link to your work’s rights form within 72 hours of notification of acceptance of your work to the conference. When your rights form has been delivered to ACM, you will then receive an email from “firstname.lastname@example.org” with information about the preparation and delivery of your material to TAPS for publication.
Please make sure that emails from “email@example.com” and “firstname.lastname@example.org” are part of the “allow list” in your email program so that you do not miss these email messages.
The source (Word or LaTeX) of your abstract, as well as any supplemental materials, must be delivered to TAPS, ACM’s new article production system. TAPS will generate the PDF and HTML5 versions of your abstract for publication in the ACM Digital Library.
You must deliver your material to TAPS, resolve any formatting issues identified by TAPS or by the proceedings production editor, and approve your material for publication by 27 May 2022. If you cannot meet that deadline, you will not be allowed to present your material at SIGGRAPH 2022.
Information about the preparation and delivery of your final material to TAPS also can be found at https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~spencer/taps/taps.html.
If your installation is accepted, you are required to:
- Update your submission information, including the final contributor names, affiliations, and emails (unique emails per contributor are required).
- Prepare and submit a revised, two-page abstract to TAPS by 27 May 2022.
- Update your auxiliary images and video (required).
- Attend in-person at SIGGRAPH 2022 in Vancouver.
Contributors will be given the option to participate in a roundtable, panel or Q&A with other contributors on-site at SIGGRAPH 2022 in Vancouver.
If your installation is accepted, you are required to have at least one person present at all times during the conference. This includes lunch times, as the venue does not close down until the end of the day. This also includes during times of the optional roundtable, panel or Q&A, if your submission also was selected for the optional presentation. Travel support is not provided. Limited conference registration is available for selected installation contributors.
Booth Staffing for Physical Installations is Required for the Following Conference Hours:
Monday, 8 August, 1:30-5:30 pm
Tuesday, 9 August, 10 am-5:30 pm
Wednesday, 10 August, 10 am-5:30 pm
Thursday, 11 August, 10 am-3:30 pm
What’s Provided by SIGGRAPH for Your Installation Space
SIGGRAPH will provide the following for you installation space:
- 8’ High black back wall drape
- 3’ High black side wall drape
- (1) Standard 6’L x 30″ H draped table (white top and black skirt)
- (2) Side Chairs
- (1) Corrugated Wastebasket
*In the event that your installation space requires any specialty items such as furniture not listed above, carpet or audio visual equipment you will need to order and pay for these items. Items are available on a rental basis and can be ordered.
Shipping of Equipment and Insuring Equipment
If your installation is accepted, you are responsible for bringing or shipping any necessary equipment to Vancouver, Canada, before the conference, and you also are responsible for the return shipment of the equipment. Some equipment may be rented at the conference.
Contributor attendance is required to present in-person at SIGGRAPH 2022, and the contributor must register at the appropriate registration level for Immersive Pavilion.
You can find a link to the contributor recognition policy here.
ACM Rights Management Form
If your work is accepted for presentation at SIGGRAPH 2022, you must complete the ACM Rights Management Form. The form will be sent to all submitters whose work is accepted.
Your representative image and text may be used for promotional purposes. Several SIGGRAPH 2022 programs — Art Gallery, Art Papers, Real-Time Live!, Technical Papers, and all installation programs — will prepare preview videos for pre-conference promotion of accepted content, which may include a portion of the video you submitted for review. You may grant or deny us the ability to use the representative image and submitted video for these purposes.
Safety Guidelines for In-Person
HEALTH & SAFETY WARNINGS: To reduce the risk of personal injury, discomfort, or property damage, please ensure that you include any information necessary warning all users of the headset experience. These warnings might include:
- Extreme sense of motion and balance.
- Experiences that induce emotional stress or anxiety.
- Flashing lights: Some people may have severe dizziness, seizures, eye or muscle twitching, or blackouts triggered by light flashes or patterns, and this may occur while they are watching TV, playing video games, or experiencing virtual reality, even if they have never had a seizure or blackout before or have no history of seizures or epilepsy. Such seizures are more common in children and young people under the age of 20. Anyone who experiences any of these symptoms should discontinue use of the headset and see a doctor. Anyone who previously has had a seizure, loss of awareness, or other symptom linked to an epileptic condition should see a doctor before using the headset.
SANITATION & SAFETY PROCEDURES: To respond to sanitation and health guidelines, we are asking contributors to consider the following:
- Put procedures in place to wipe down any equipment that comes into contact with participants. This includes VR headsets, controllers, and any other third-party devices that require human contact.
- Consider having secondary equipment to rotate in between use to allow for deep cleaning and sanitation.
- Consider issuing disposable latex gloves for any participants who wish to minimize contact with equipment.
- Please ask any participants who have any transferring contagious conditions like conjunctivitis (pink eye) or any other (particularly of the eyes, skin, or scalp), to not engage with any of the provided headsets or equipment.
- Any equipment including a headset should be cleaned between each use with skin-friendly, non-alcoholic, antibacterial wipes and with a dry microfiber cloth for the lenses.
- To reduce risk of electric shock, do not use any equipment that might become damaged during use in the conference (including any cables or wires that are exposed).
22 February 2022, 22:00 UTC/GMT
Early May 2022
Acceptance or rejection notices are sent to all submitters.
13 May 2022
Deadline to make any changes to materials (i.e., approved title changes, contributors names, descriptions) for publication on the website.
27 May 2022
Two-page abstract deadline. If we do not receive your two-page abstract by 27 May, you will not be allowed to present at SIGGRAPH 2022.
24 July 2022
Official publication date.
8–11 August 2022